Monday, October 21, 2013

Guru India Restaurant- Crescent Springs, Kentucky


Last night, my oldest wanted to go out to eat and spend some time with me. I hesitated at first because I knew I shouldn't spend the money...but then I felt prompted to also remember that she turns 18 in less than a month and these moments are precious and few. I attempted to let her pick the place since she is adhering to a strict Vegan diet with very little grains too. She obviously also cares about not frying her food and limiting her sugar intake to almost non-existent. But she kept saying, "I can find something anywhere". 

In my desire to allow her to eat more than a plain, iceberg lettuce salad, I wanted to try a new place. One that is locally owned and offers vegetarian or vegan options would be a huge bonus too! 

I think we found it!

Guru India in Crescent Springs, just off of Buttermilk Pike had numerous vegetarian options. And while the meal prices were a little steeper than we like to pay for dinner ($11+), there are dozens of ala carte options too. I was considering ordering some dal soup and nan, both of which I already like...when Abbey found a Vegetarian Thal special that included an appetizer, aloo tikki, choley, mater paneer, dal, nan, raita, rice and a small dessert topped with papardamm. Do not ask me other, than the dal and nan, which item was which...but they were all delicious!

We shared the $15.99 meal and together were only able to eat about half of it. Granted, there was cream in some of the dishes, but Abbey was able to steer clear of those and still feel stuffed by the end of the meal. My favorite thing is that you get to pick the spice level from 1 to 5. We chose a 2 and I didn't notice any heat. We could probably bump it up one the next time if we wanted. I also had a glass of sweet mango juice that was very tasty.

The staff, while not overly friendly was definitely pleasant and helpful. The hesitancy may have been more of a language or cultural barrier, but regardless, they were much more welcoming than our most recent excursion in Hebron.

While we were sitting there soaking in the music (which I love!) and the pleasant atmosphere, I remarked to Abbey that just the smell of spices emanating through the restaurant was wonderful. I love all things Indian and this is somewhere I know we'll visit again.


No comments:

Post a Comment