Thursday, May 10, 2012

Idolatry of Self-Reliance


For about a month this spring, I had been looking for a new purse. I have a good purse, that was serving its purpose well, but the fabric has a heavy, winter texture and I just wanted something for spring and summer that would be more lightweight. Messenger bags and backpacks are my favorite styles.

But I just couldn't find anything I liked. I was planning to buy one from Stop Traffick Fashion because I believe in what they're doing and I wanted to be a good manager of the resources God has given us. Then, when I had the funds...Stop Traffick had just finished a sale on their...guess what...spring purses. They were completely out.

I was content to make do with a nylon sports bag backpack and keep my eyes open although my resources were dwindling quickly. I don't remember consciously asking God for a purse, but every time I looked for something, there was that "pull" (for lack of a better word) to just "Wait". Wait, I did.

Then the last day of our home school co-op there were numerous door prizes given away and guess what I had the opportunity to choose. Of course...a purse. But not just any purse. It's a 31 brand messenger bag that's lightweight and although the colors aren't necessarily "spring-y", it will serve it's purpose well. Plus, the pattern is a really cute polka dot. It's probably one of the nicest, most convenient purses I've ever owned. I even sent an e-mail yesterday thanking the donor for giving it away because the timing was absolutely perfect.

Even though I've been chewing on this provision for almost two weeks now, this morning, I woke up with a couple of other needs on my mind and heart that honestly had me more than a little stressed. I lay there for about 15 minutes thinking and even praying a little, when I felt the Spirit's nudge say, "Get up and read My word." So I did.

I almost always begin my alone time with God by reading Jesus Calling and the second paragraph was meant for my heart today:

"When you start to feel stressed, let those feelings alert you to your need for Me. Thus, your needs become doorways to deep dependence on Me and increasing intimacy between us. Although self-sufficiency is acclaimed in the world, reliance on Me produces abundant living in My kingdom. Thank Me for the difficulties in your life, since they provide protection from the idolatry of self-reliance."

"Idolatry of self-reliance". I don't much care for that phrase, do you?...and it's completely counter-cultural to the American way of life where we've been trained from day one that absolutely everyone can live the "American Dream" if they just work hard enough, pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and don't let anyone or anything deter them from their 1-year, 5-year or 10-year goals.

If you haven't realized this already, I pray it's not too much of a shock to your system when I disclose that God's ways have never been the American way. In fact, His ways are often the exact opposite.

Today, the Jesus Calling paragraph was meant just for me. And even though my needs aren't monumental, they are concerns for which I cannot be self-reliant. What God is telling me today is... this is a good thing!

Mentioned in this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment