Sunday, May 20, 2012

Yes, "Heaven is For Real"


Our pastor spoke about Heaven a few weeks ago. I blogged about it a few days later (see "Heaven") and upon his recommendation, last week, I read the book pictured above.

Now I'm a skeptic at heart and I've shared that with you before, but this book...although not the most well written book I've ever read...had me convinced. There are just too many "coincidences" and things the little boy had knowledge of regarding Heaven and those that have proceeded him in death for his story to be the mere imaginings of a four year old.

And the family states clearly that he's had no further visions. He's not a new age guru that has some transendental link to the netherworld. In fact, when considering a title for the book, Dad (Todd Burpo) authentically shares that older sister thought the best title would be "He's Back and He's No Angel!"

Truthfully, I believe this child's experience was "for real" but I'm not divulging why just in case you want to read the book. He's also the one that named the book. When asked what he thought a good title would be he replied, 'I just want people to know that Heaven is for real!'

Amen!

Mentioned in this post:

2 comments:

  1. Read this a while ago and I without a doubt believe that this kid was there! I agree with you on the writing itself but hey that's ok, gives the story in and of itself a chance to shine lol

    While a lot of it maybe wasn't surprising to me or stuff I already believed we would experience there anyway, it did serve to really re-affirm my faith in a couple areas and there were several parts that touched me deeply. One of them being Colton's urgency and insistence at that funeral that that man knew Jesus. Chills! Also, when he talked about "just how MUCH the Father loves us." Tears, chills.

    I have not read it myself but one of my friends read this and The Boy Who Came From Heaven at the same time and she said that one's even better. More in depth as well maybe I think.

    While we're on the subject of good reads, I am currently reading The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson?...I think. Outstanding book just 3 chapters in and excellent writing. Excellent writing that I know you would appreciate :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chandra-
      He's the same author that wrote "In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day"! God used it to completely change my way of looking at a challenge and ultimately brought about my saying yes to God about the Famine event for Kids Against Hunger last fall.
      I'll definitely have to check out "The Circle Maker" too.
      Thanks for the recommendation!
      Love you too! (Miss you also!)
      Angela

      Delete