Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Heaven



I think ever since I started reading Reversed Thunder by Eugene Peterson a few months ago, I've been thinking more than usual about Heaven. This was reinforced by the Beth Moore Esther Bible study as she kept referring back to God's kingdom versus the kingdom of this world and that we are all children of the King.

Yes, you were always meant to be a prince or princess.

None of this was new information to me. I've always known there are unseen forces vying for my attention, there is a kingdom of Heaven, and I take seriously Jesus' promise that He went away to prepare a place for those who love Him and are staking their eternal destiny on Him. (see John 14:2) But for some reason, thoughts of Heaven...the end of the world as we know it...and my overwhelming desire to see my Savior face-to-face...have been percolating in my mind more often as of late.

Then this Sunday at church was the final week of a month-long series regarding "The End" and Heaven was the topic. I had completely forgotten this was the sermon topic until we got there. My anticipation of what Pastor Marksberry would say almost could not be contained! My Nazarene upbringing wanted to jump up and shout "Amen!" so many times that I lost count. Instead, I had to content myself with quiet Amens and occasional glances at my 8-year old where I mimicked a loud, shouting "YES!!!"

While I sat there I recalled God's perfect timing, yet again, of an amazing conversation we had with my family the Sunday just one week prior. As family members shared visionary dreams, books they've read and the desire for the return of our Messiah,  I felt the passionate longing to see my Lord so consuming that I think I even said some stupid things just because I was so giddy I really didn't know what to say. Looking back, "Amen!" would have been enough. I'll try to remember that next time!

Some of the books that had been mentioned on the 29th at my parents' home where again mentioned by Pastor Marksberry exactly one week later. I think I need to find and read them! I can't wait.

As Pastor Marksberry referred again to "The End", Andrew Peterson's After the Last Tear Falls came to mind. Actually it was just one phrase.

 "And at the end, the end is oceans and oceans of love and love again."

I can't wait for an ending like that! Can you?

I thought of seeing our deceased grandparents and even our two little babies that were miscarried a few years ago. Yes, I was teary too many times to count.

But the thought I latched onto the most, was one that I am certain did not originate from me. The Voice that I know so well and love so much pierced through my revelry, tears and joy and whispered sweetly: "There is so little time...We have got to get busy!"


So that's where I am today...three days after this wonderful celebration on Sunday when we not only discussed eternal things,but many people were baptised to celebrate their new birth in Jesus...and having had a great conversation with a dear friend yesterday about learning to set our minds on eternal things, and look at life through God's perspective, not ours...and being reminded on Monday in Jesus Calling,  that "while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal." (II Cor. 4:18)...I am left here to ask:

"Okay Abba, where do we get started? Or rather, where do we continue going from here?"

I can not think of anything I would rather be doing with my last breath or in the moment the clouds part than sharing God's Love with a lost and dying world that so desperately needs Him. When I filter my "to-do list" through that...it changes a whole lot of things.

What about you?


Mentioned in this post:




No comments:

Post a Comment