Friday, September 23, 2011

"So Many Books, So Little Time"

I'm sitting here in my chair wearing a $2 shirt I found once that says the exact phrase above. I bought it not only because I love books and reading...but also, because it reminds me of the old Michael Card song of the same name. His song is basically about Bible smuggling into China and how people would just pour over mere pages from God's Word. Just a page or two from a book we take for granted means so much to believers that do not have access to such a great treasure!

But today, while speaking to the ladies in our homeschool co-op, I said something like this: "I could give you a list of books, Scriptures, books of the Bible, music, etc. that God has used to change my life...and it may mean nothing to you...because we all have different 'stuff'." And actually this has got me thinking...whether it ever means something to anyone or not, why don't I come up with a list of books that God has used to change my life...and how?

So here goes:

The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey- I think of this book as the one that "started it all". Here's where I first learned that it's okay to ask questions...in fact, God delights in our questions...because then we are at least actively engaged...not just swallowing the party line that we've been handed.

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning- probably the best book I have ever read about God's amazing grace and just exactly how desperate we all are for it! A book about radical grace.

The Signature of Jesus by Brennan Manning- a book about radical discipleship. When I first read this one, I was ready to sell everything and move wherever God called!

Crazy Love by Francis Chan- The title says it all. What is this Crazy Love that God pours out on us...and why?

Forgotten God by Francis Chan- the book that opened my eyes to what the possibilities could be when living a life totally surrendered to the power of the Holy Spirit

Soul Survivor: How My Faith Survived the Church by Philip Yancey- if you've ever experienced a brutal church existence, either first-hand or have watched someone else be torn apart by the church...then this book is for you.

A Sacred Sorrow by Michael Card- an opportunity to rediscover the lost art of how to grieve...with God's Presence beside you.

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt- are you tired of chasing the American Dream only to feel unfulfilled and pointless? God's dream is for you to live a Radical life...one absolutely committed to serving others in deep poverty financially and deep poverty of the soul. We are called to a lost and dying world!

Radical Together by David Platt- what if your church would all live Radical lives together? The possibilities are endless!

The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns- Somewhere along the way, we've believed the lie that it's okay to sit in comfort in our churches while we build more programs to entertain us at the same time one child dies every 6 seconds from the effects of starvation. Stearns the CEO of World Vision contends that this is not in fact, okay with God.

In a Pit With a Lion on a Snowy Day by Mark Batterson- Ready to chase lions in the name of God? Holy Spirit is ready to help you do it!

The Patriarchs by Beth Moore- the first Beth Moore study I ever did. God led me to this at a time when my earthly father had failed me and our entire family and had succumbed to grievous sin. To learn how God was my true Patriarch was a saving grace for which words fail!

Breaking Free by Beth Moore- Every single one of us has a sin, habit or thing that ensnares us and keeps us shackled from becoming the person God first created us to be. Sometimes these are generational...and those are often the hardest to break. But Moore says, 'Each generation is given the opportunity to break the cycle of sin in their family.' The question is, who will do the work?

Living Beyond Yourself by Beth Moore- By examining the fruit of the Spirit, living the crucified life and every day abdicating the throne of your heart in place of the Holy Spirit's rule...you will learn to let Him lead you to Live Beyond Yourself and do things for Him that you never dreamed imaginable.

Repenting of Religion by Gregory Boyd- Did you know that according to Scripture, the only sin we are ever to confront is the sin of self-righteousness? Remember the Pharisees? Jesus' harshest words were always reserved for them...while He embraced sinners, ate at the same table and partied with them.

Summoned to Lead by Leonard Sweet- Don't think you're a leader? Well, you would be wrong. Everyone leads someone in some way. Sweet asks, 'What if we quit training people how to become leaders and instead taught them to listen.'

Books of the Bible and how they have challenged/changed me:
Philippians- learning to live in an attitude of joy no matter the circumstances is HUGE when you are solely dependent upon God's provision.

James- God led me to James when I needed to have my heart broken for the things that break God's. The deeply impoverished, widows (single women are the widows of our society) and orphans hold a special place in God's heart...so why don't they in ours? This is the book that broke wide open my call to reach out to single moms and to do whatever God calls me to regarding issues of poverty.

John- Want to know who Jesus really is? Read this book of the Bible. I think the 7 of the most profound words of the Bible are found in this book and are actually uttered by John the Baptist: "He (Jesus) must increase and I must decrease." There my friends, is the answer for anyone's life.

Romans- Maybe I'm just a little thick, but this is a very cerebral analysis of sin and redemption for me. Honestly, I have to take this one in small portions to better understand it.


This is probably a list that will grow as I remember more books or come across new ones. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post:






























No comments:

Post a Comment