Thursday, March 13, 2014

Basil Quinoa with Red Bell Pepper Recipe


I found this recipe through Pinterest last night because Meijer had a great deal on red bell peppers and I had six of them to use up. One more reason I love the internet (especially Pinterest). You simply search by ingredient and "voila!" instant recipe.

Now...here's the thing though...most of these I want to "vegan-ize". So I do have some parameters with which I am working when I hunt out the next great dish to prepare. I also only took one photo because just the night before I prepared a vegan version of this Irish Apple Cake recipe that looked amazing...but didn't quite taste like it. I painstakingly took photos throughout the process and then it was a little disappointing to say the least. I'll probably attempt it again another time.

But back to the quinoa.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup quinoa
1 1/3 cup 
1/4 teaspoon salt

*Rinse quinoa well and drain. Combine quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.

More Ingredients:
1 cup fresh basil, washed
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons raw cashews
3 cloves garlic

*While the quinoa is cooking, prepare your "pesto" sauce by placing all ingredients in a small food processor. Process until smooth. 
Note: This will probably be smoother if you soak your cashews for at least an hour prior, but it is not necessary. Also, 3 large cloves was a lot of garlic. You can reduce or increase this to taste.

 Even more ingredients:
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds

*Prepare these three items and then combine the quinoa and basil sauce gently. Next, toss in the pepper, onion and sunflower seeds.

If you like pesto, you'll love this. To give it even more "cheese" flavor, you could increase the nutritional yeast by an additional tablespoon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment