Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I Think I Have a Problem



Hello. My name is Angela and I have an addiction to growing things.

I by no means am poking fun at anyone with an addiction. I really do think I have a problem. Yesterday after blogging about my new greenhouse, I ran out and bought another one. Like many addictions, I am blaming this one on my mother (she says facetiously!). It's all her fault.

I was on the phone with her when the UPS man brought my awesome purchase. I told her, "And I only paid about $42 for it on Amazon." Her reply? "Oh yeah...Menards had one in their Sunday ad for $19.99 and you get a $10 rebate, so it's only $9.99."

What the???

I debated with myself for the next hour...throwing my kids into the back and forth of my melee of "do I go?" "I can't go." "I wanna go" and "Where the heck is a Menards around here anyway?"

Well, I found one and it's an amazing, fairly new, two story model and of course they had the shelf. [I had checked online for availability first.] And if you know Menards, the rebates are in the form of a merchandise voucher for more stuff in their store. So yes...I will be making another trip soon.

The quality isn't as great as the Gardman model, but for half (or possibly a fourth, depending on your math) of the price, it will do. Mostly though, it was fun to get out and drive on a beautiful Spring day, visit a store I have missed dearly since we moved from the Indy area, have some time with Abbey dreaming up graduation and fundraising plans and then coming home and starting new mesclun, bloomsdale spinach, cilantro, Belgian endive, salad bowl leaf lettuce, gourmet salad mix and ruby red chard.

So there it is: I have an addiction. I definitely need to monitor my expenses and obsessive behaviors, but having a salad of fresh greens and broccoli sprouts for lunch on Sunday reminded me why I do this.

Not only is it a passion, it is a gift to my and our family's health. It tastes pretty yummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment