Friday, July 18, 2014

Making Mediocre Art


I was chatting with a friend yesterday about this list I recently came across in Emily P. Freeman's A Million Little Ways. Freeman's entire book is about living out the art that God created you to make. It may be literal art, or it may be serving the poor, compassion for the mentally ill, interior design, teaching, nursing or "just" being a momma. Whatever the "art", God created you specifically to live it out in this time and in the place where you are.

I have now posted about or referred to this book several times because I've been reading and digesting it since December.  [See Pride,  and Living the Vision part 5] I was still mulling over this recently discovered list when I met with my friend yesterday. We were discussing a life lived without fear, or more importantly overcoming the fear that our Enemy is hell-bent (literally) on throwing into our paths.

Worry, doubt and fear are paralyzing...not can be...are! I know. They've been my modus operandi for far too long. When I wrote about my personal Independence Day, I meant it. Do I naively think that I will never struggle with these three nemeses again? Hardly. In fact, I think they will attempt to be my daily companions for the rest of my life. That's why it's extremely important to stay connected and surrendered to the Holy Spirit. His power, wisdom, encouragement and discernment are vital to living a life free of condemnation, judgment, ridicule, doubt, worry and fear. [Okay, the list just expanded to six companions!]

This is perhaps why Freeman's list struck a chord with me. Number one...I love lists. If it's a checklist...all the better. Number two...I really think the Holy Spirit could use this is a guideline for me to gauge my motives and actions. (i.e. Am I operating out of fear when I do ______________?)

So here's the list. I share it because my friend wanted it, I need it and I can just bet there is someone else out there that needs it to.

"Fear drives out the love. When you work from fear, there is no love in your work. And we don't want your loveless art.
So give the world and yourself a gift, and stop.
You are the beloved. So take some time to be the loved.
The fact that you need time to be the loved means you are human. And we want art that comes from human hands inspired by a capable God. Otherwise you will make mediocre art at best.
If mediocre art is your goal, here are fourteen ways to achieve it:
  • Make love to fear
  • Apologize a lot
  • Try to measure your impact
  • Wait to feel qualified
  • Compare yourself
  • Fear the success of others
  • Stay comfortable
  • Have imaginary conversations with your critics
  • Hold on to regret
  • Keep impossible standards for perfection
  • Demand appreciation
  • Be easily offended
  • Think there is only one right way to do it
  • And by all means, don't take a risk

Wow. More than a few of these hit way too close to home.

And I don't want to be a "mediocre" artist...do you? I want to fly the way I was created to, with the Creator who made me to. I am exhaustingly tired of wanting a passionate life, sold out and surrendered to whatever exciting adventure God has planned for me. It's time to live it out and more importantly, show my kids it is possible to go for the ride of a lifetime with Jesus.

So it's time to take myself of the throne of my tiny kingdom...which is really what each of these 14 friends of mediocrity point to...and surrender my pride, my longing for appreciation and my desire to always be right and understood...and just let the King open up His HUGE Kingdom before my very eyes.

The Kingdom is already here...and I don't want to miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment