Saturday, July 12, 2014

Amos, the Sheepherder


Let's say you're content as a shepherd...minding your own business (which is sheep!)...and the Creator of the Universe tells you to go to a wicked and cruel generation and reveal to them that if they do not turn from their idolatry and sin that said Creator will decimate the land, allowing invaders to take them into exile and leave only 10% or less of the people in the Promised Land (see Amos 5) . What do you do?

You give the message.

Such was the life of Amos. It was a prosperous time for the Northern Kingdom. Because of the peace and prosperity, they naturally assumed that God was pleased with them. Does any of this sound familiar?

Imagine their surprise at the message and disdain for the man that says, 
"For three transgressions of Israel and for four
I will not revoke its punishment,
Because they sell the righteous for money
And the needy for a pair of sandals.
These who pant after the very dust of the earth on the head of the helpless
Also turn aside the way of the humble..." (Amos 2:6-7)

When someone 'pants after the very dust' of the helpless, it also means that they "trample" or "snap at the head of the helpless". Yet another warning for our time and culture, don't you think?

The first five chapters of Amos carries prophecies for several nations, Damascus, Gaza, Tyre, Edom, Ammon, Moab, Judah and Israel. Some of these are distant relatives of the Chosen People. But in these chapters, there are two ideas that stood out to me throughout the long list of punishments. The first is found in chapter four.

Throughout this chapter, God mentions all that He gave them (food) and all that He took away (rain, crops eaten by pests, health from plague) "Yet you have not returned to Me", declares the LORD. This refrain is spoken over and over again. I distinctly get the impression that at any point if they had returned to Him, all would have been forgiven. 

Also in Amos, Joel, and I am certain several other prophets too, there is the recurring theme that is heralded even more boldly in the life of Jesus...this is a God that takes notice of the helpless, the needy and the poor. More importantly, He takes notice of how those who call Him "Lord" treat the helpless, the needy and the poor.

"Therefore because you impose heavy rent on the poor
And exact a tribute of grain from them,
Though you have built houses of well-hewn stone,
Yet you will not live in them;
You have planted pleasant vineyards, yet you will not drink their wine.
For I know your transgressions are many and your sins are great,
You who distress the righteous and accept bribes
And turn aside the poor in the gate (place of judgment for wrongdoing) (Amos 5:11-12)

Now...I know we live in a time of grace. And I know we have freedom in Christ and need not live in fear of condemnation or live by guilt or shame. Yet, as I'm hearing a repeated refrain throughout these prophecies, and His grievances against His people have a recurring theme...isn't it time we take notice of the same things that break the heart of God?

I'm not preaching to anyone here but myself. How do I continue to be wasteful with my blessings and unmindful of the people all around me who are hurting, lost and destitute? Destitution takes on many forms. How do I spend all of my time, my money, my energy and my talents on myself without any thought for my fellow man? Where will that sort of self-focus and indulgence lead?

Just ask Amos.

No comments:

Post a Comment