Saturday, July 12, 2014

Mojito Ice Cream (DF, GF, VG, non-alcoholic)

Why, yes. It IS just as wonderful as it looks!


In honor of yesterday's National Mojito Day and the fact that my garden and my friend's both have a plethora of mint right now...I decided to experiment a little. Here is the result.


Ingredients:
2 cans full fat coconut milk or cream 
[I prefer Trader Joe's coconut cream, but these are what I had on hand]
4-6 Tablespoons, raw honey
2-3 Tablespoons, lime juice
Dash of Pink Himalayan salt
1 heaping Tablespoon fresh mint, chopped or torn very small


  • Pour the coconut milk into a bowl and add honey, juice, and salt
  • Mix with a whisk until well-blended
  • Sprinkle in the mint and stir until combined
  • You can do a little taste test at this point to see if any additional honey, juice or mint may be needed
  • Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers directions
  • For my ice cream maker, I froze the contents in the ice cream maker tin for one hour and then processed in the electric maker as directed.
Good thing National Mojito day coincides with mint season...and salsa season...and Mexican food season...and just about any season I think I could eat this delicious ice cream!

************************************

Note:  Upon further reflection, if having pieces of mint leaf in your ice cream is unpleasant to you, you could gently heat the lime juice in a small pan on very low heat with the mint pieces. I think if you stirred it for 4-5 minutes and then strained the liquid, it would take on enough mint flavor to do the trick. The step of placing the ice cream maker tin in the freezer for one hour would be all the more important if you use this tip. The pieces of mint are negligible and could be cut so small as to be unnoticeable if this additional step isn't appealing.


No comments:

Post a Comment