Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bahama Bay Resort- Davenport, Florida


While researching discounted options for travel to the Walt Disney World area, my daughter stumbled across a condo owner operated website for Bahama Bay Resort in Davenport, Florida. I confess my skepticism and fretted about "scams" and the like, but as soon as I checked in on our first day, (and repeatedly throughout our stay) we praised Abbey with "You did good, Abbey...you did good."



Bahama Bay is a Wyndham property. I have no clue what they would normally charge, but when we were checking dates through the website linked above, we were quoted prices varying from $75-90 per night for a three bedroom condo.  I dare you to find something comparable on Disney property. 

It does not exist.

Kids' Splash Pad

Regrettably, I didn't get any photos of the lakefront, the man made beach area, the poolside restaurants, the playground, the three pools or even a full shot of the building where we stayed. I hope you can surmise our satisfaction in that we have already decided to come back the next time we're in the area.


The only flaw we experienced was very slow service at one of the restaurants. Everything else was great. Plus, it's a condo...so we saved money (and time) by having free access to a washer and dryer and a full kitchen. Add to that the fact that we had space to even invite our friends Della and Grace to stay with us a night, and Bahama Bay just plain has Disney beat.

I will allow that had we been going to the parks, Disney's transportation to and from the resorts is sometimes worth the extra money. But with only a 15 minute drive to the Maingate, I think I could pay $12 for parking in order to avoid paying $321-$726 per night to stay on property.

Yes, you read those numbers correctly. This is for a family of six, no park tickets or meals and the low end of the scale would have no kitchen or laundry facilities.


Disclaimer: I mentioned my reticence at working with a stranger online to reserve this condo. Mr. Hargreaves was very patient with my repeated requests for reservation paperwork and even when the resort itself created a delay in getting it out to him, he kindly worked toward getting the information to us to set my nerves at ease. I highly recommend going through his website if you're interested in this resort.

**********************************

To emphasize the beauty and enjoyment of this resort a little further, I'm including photos from the website listed above. I take no credit for these shots.









No comments:

Post a Comment