Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Lemon Zucchini Cookies (Vegan)



I love lemon. Since I also happen to have a large zucchini on hand, I decided to look at Pinterest for some tasty desserts. Not only is there a plethora of zucchini available this time of year, the zucchini recipes also abound.

Enter my vegan version of lemon zucchini cookies. You can find the original recipe here. I made very few changes. The most complicated part of the recipe is to get the ratio of flours correct, if you are not concerned about gluten, this recipe will be very easy.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup sugar (any combination of natural sweeteners)
1 flaxseed egg
1 cup finely shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
2 cups flour (I used spelt, whole spelt and gluten-free mix, combined)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

*And because I love lemon, I added a splash of lemon juice.

Step one: in a large bowl, cream coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in flaxseed egg, zucchini and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts if desired.

Step two: drop by tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. I simply slide off the parchment paper onto the cooling.

Step three: you can easily make a glaze for these as well. I chose instead to sprinkle them with rapadura sugar in order to reduce the amount of sugar from the original recipe.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment