Friday, July 25, 2014

Fudgy Chocolate Zucchini Cookies- Veganized!


During my recent search for recipes utilizing the rather large pile of shredded zucchini I have on hand, I came across this recipe from An Oregon Cottage for Fudgy Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cookies. As yummy as they looked, you know I couldn't pass up an opportunity to veganize them!

Ingredients:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. If coconut oil is not already softened, then heat briefly. If you needed to heat it , let it cool off a bit. Place oil in mixing bowl. Stir in sugars and carob or cocoa powder until combined. Add flax seed "egg" and vanilla.
  3. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt until smooth and then add the zucchini and chocolate chips. Stir until well combined.
  4. Drop by tablespoon sized scoops onto cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes before sliding parchment over to cooling rack.

Notes of things I learned about this recipe:
*You can use up to 1/2 cup or carob or cocoa if you want a stronger chocolate flavor. 1/4 cup carob was enough for me as it has a distinct taste to it.
*We were out of vanilla, and didn't miss it.
*Like the original, you can use wheat flour instead of spelt if gluten isn't a concern.
*My batter was very thick. If you opt for whole wheat or whole spelt flour only, I would suggest making at least part of your sweeteners either honey, maple syrup or agave. You can google conversion ratios to granulated sugar.
*If your zucchini still has a lot of moisture in it, disregard the previous note.

These cookies are delicious. They even received my picky son's seal of approval!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment