Thursday, October 27, 2011

Michael Jackson? Really?


What you do when you wake up with "Man in the Mirror" lyrics running through you head? And yes, In Michael Jackson's voice no less? You listen...that's what.

I've always believed that God can use anyone and anything to speak to my heart...this just proves it's true!

I often wake up with a song in my head...and most days, it's a praise and worship or some type of "spiritual" song. To wake up with a song from someone who's life seriously gives me the heebie-jeebies sort of unsettled me at first.

But that's when it just kept playing over and over and I couldn't shake it...so I decided it must be worth hearing. This is what I came away with:

"I'm looking at the man in the mirror,
I'm asking if he'll change his ways.
No message could have been any clearer
If you want to make the world a better place,
You better look in the mirror and make the...change."

Now, apparently Holy Spirit reserves the right to take creative license with the song when you, the listener, don't know all of the lyrics to begin with. This is evidenced in His trade of "looking" for the original word "starting". Just in case you're wondering...yes, this was accompanied with the full effect of "woo"s and "eeh"s that are prevalent throughout all adult Michael Jackson songs! Ha! No detail goes undone by God. [Yes, I'm smiling at this!]

But why this song? Look at the words...do you really even need to ask? Obviously, the Holy Spirit was asking to set my heart right even before I opened my eyes. No judging others and their actions today. No wondering what's wrong with everyone else. No focusing on others and their flaws while I joyfully indulge my own.

Nope, I've got to look at the (wo)man in the mirror...she needs to change her ways...no message could have been any clearer...if Angela wants the world to be a better place...she better look in the mirror and make the...change.

My God who is personal and loving enough to want to start my day off right, sharing this with me from the get go? Yeah...I have a few "woo"s and "eeh"s to let out too! No moon walks...but definitely some praise lifting hands! [No sparkly gloves though...I have to draw a line somewhere.]

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting because I was talking to my kids about Michael Jackson just yesterday when this song came on. I told them what a wonderful heart he had. He gave so much to people. His words reached and uplifted so many, even though he was made fun of and tormented in this world. He still was a wonderful soul. And died a legacy, now people seem to hear the words he was trying to relay while alive. I thank God for wonderful people like him. Dare to be different!!

    ReplyDelete