Monday, October 3, 2011

Okay...Now He's Just Showing Off...

and I'm pretty excited that He's choosing to bless us as He's doing it! I kid you not, God is just cracking me up at the way that He's pre-empting my ability to even bring a desire to Him. So here's what happened:

For about a year or so, our family room couch, which was actually just a futon we'd had in the basement previously, and our recliner have been slowly falling apart. I'd posted previously about a blessing God gave us and we'd considered purchasing a sectional couch with it. But other more pressing expenses prevailed, and we were continuing to use the futon and recliner. I knew that at some point, we'd be able to replace them...probably with our next tax check.

Then just this past Friday, the thought occurred to me, "Well...only a few more months until we get our tax check and then we can hopefully get a new couch." I hadn't actually prayed for this and just assumed tax money would be the way we'd get new furniture.

Now here comes the part where God just decided to show off! We go over to our friends' house on Saturday night. At some point during the evening, our friend basically says, 'I work with a lady that has a sectional sofa she wants to get rid of. She asked if I knew anyone that could use it. It's free if you come pick it up.' Isn't God funny? Our friend even took some time out of his afternoon to help Dale pick it up and deliver it to our home. That's a pretty sweet deal!

So here's what I think I need to learn from this...I guess I should know by now that these "thoughts" aren't random. When ideas about needs and wants come up...I seriously need to quit glossing over them and setting them aside and thinking it's just my mind wondering all over the place. I need to immediately start asking God, "Is this desire from You? Do I need to ask You for this? Do I even need it? Or can it wait until Your timing?" Because what I'm realizing is that when I just push these "random thoughts" aside, when God provides for, I am failing to recognize in the moment that He is blessing us. In turn, I fail to give Him immediate praise for what He is done. In this case it took a few days to soak in.

Everyday, as I surrender my thoughts, my will, my way, my life to Him and ask Him to fill me to overflowing with His Holy Spirit, Beth Moore says, 'You can begin to trust your thoughts....' because they are His. Even though, it may sound impossible, He can direct your heart and your thoughts so that His desires become yours. I guess this time He desired for us to have a "new-to-us" sectional so we can save the tax money for something else! You know...right here in this moment...I kinda hope it's so we'll have the blessing of meeting someone else's desire before they even ask. That would just be way cool!

1 comment:

  1. I just read this post today on Facebook from Beth Moore:

    "He wants us to ask Him for things so that He can out do it." - Beth Moore

    So glad He is showing you how much He wants to bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete