Saturday, October 8, 2011

"Forks Over Knives"


A friend recently recommended this documentary to me, it is currently on instant streaming at Netflix, so I watched it. Interestingly enough, I've seen Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn in another documentary entitled, Dying to Have Known.

Dr. Esselstyn (after a quick Imdb.com search) has apparently appeared in six documentaries total and I hope his message is getting out...eating an almost entirely plant-based diet will cure most of the medical maladies that are currently at epidemic proportions in Western society. That's right...diabetes, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, immune deficiency diseases, allergies, asthma, fibromyalgia, migraines...even diseases we're told are "hopeless"...multiple sclerosis, AIDS and I'm going to say it again, cancer...CAN be radically improved, reversed or even downright healed just by eating a diet that is mostly (90% or more!) plant-based.

I know, I know...we've all heard the argument that we need protein. But who started that argument? Could it have been the American Dairy Association or the Beef Industry? Yes, your body needs protein. But if you follow this site, you know that I'm a Jesus follower and over many years, God has been refining me..trying to get me back to the person He first created me to be. This applies to how I do church, raise my kids, what I do with my schedule, spend my money and yes...how I eat.

Just look at Genesis, the very first book of the Bible. Adam and Eve were herbivores. No animal was ever killed until sin entered the world. The human body was created to be vegetarian (or I'll submit maybe even vegan!). I find it ironic, that while evolutionists will pound their fists and say we evolved from apes, no one ever draws the correlation that if that were true why don't we eat like them? I mean, no matter what you believe about Creation, Intelligent Design or Evolution, you have to admit that the scientific data shows that our closest "relative" in the mammal kingdom...the ones that our DNA shares the most commonalities with...is primates.

Do I believe that we evolved from monkeys? Absolutely not! Do I believe there are similarities in our features, design, body structure, etc.? Yes. Now, don't come away from this thinking that I'm saying we've evolved from monkeys. Got it? Good! What I tell my kids very often though is that the only difference between us and the animal kingdom is that God gave us the ability to stop and think. We don't just have to react to external stimuli. So...let's apply this here.

God designed my body to be very similar to a primate's. What does a primate eat? You guessed it...plants. Now, do I have to act like a primate and simply react to external stimuli? No. So when I see a Taco Bell commercial at 11 p.m., do I have to run out an get a Big, Beefy, Cheesy "whatever" they're selling? No. Better yet...I should probably just not have the TV on that late anyway. [But that's a whole different post!] You know, ad agencies don't hire the best and brightest just to sit around and look pretty. Advertisers are very smart though. Just stop and think about that one.

So next time you eat, are you going to pick up your knife or your fork...or better yet, start off with a glass...a glass of fresh squeezed juice. Go back and read the posts for The Beautiful Truth or Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and start feeding your body what it's always been craving to begin with...fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds and whole grains. You were not meant to feel lousy all the time. If we're truly 'stripping down to run the race', we can't do it in our own strength. Every part of our lives should be laid out for God to show us how He wants us to refine it...eating is just one more area to turn over to Him!

Mentioned in this post:



No comments:

Post a Comment