Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Heavy Heart

I e-mailed a friend yesterday and expressed my heaviness of heart. Yes, I still believe God wants us to be Weightless and daily I'm still attempting to turn all of my concerns and confessions to Him because I know He has the perfect answer and the perfect guidance for me and everyone...so why not give it to Him, right?

But for about 24 hours now, as I've been reflecting over the concerns for which others ask me to pray, I have to admit, it does feel a little overwhelming. I know God can take care of all things in a way that is for our good and His glory when we call Him Father and Lord...but my finite brain can't see how...and that's where I get stuck...that's when I need faith to take over.

And praise His name, here's where He gently led me to again this morning...Habakkuk 2:3.

This has become one of my favorite verses. When Holy Spirit first intersected my life with this verse, I even blogged about it. (See "Wait For It...Oh Snap!") Apparently the same day that I wrote that post, I wrote in the margin of my Bible, "Do not doubt His vision to me. It will happen at His appointed time. "Wait for it"" Expectantly hope. B. Moore- "Biblical hope is not focused on what might happen but what must happen." (LBY)

My heart was heavy this morning. Some of the many items I had on my heart to pray for included a family that is feeling major financial strain due to medical bills; a mom who may not have heating oil the next time she turns on her furnace; an expectant mom that is going without electricity this weekend (although Praise God! she did discover one outlet working and is making the most of it!), a mom that is feeling pressure from her ex over the kids and where they'll spend the holidays; our own financial strains (although I've learned to be content and hopeful in this area...just having to be very picky about where to spend is a constant issue); and add to all of this the number of single moms that are being brought to our attention (we know more than 20 now, directly and indirectly) on a more regular basis that experience constant financial stress and yes, my heart was experiencing it's fair share of sorrow this morning.

I never want to compare my stress or life to that of what my Savior, Jesus went through...but at times like this, I think I am being given just a meager glimpse at how He must have felt...knowing that God would take care of Him and at the same time grieving for so many that are still lost or under huge pressures and grief sometimes not even of their own doing. This morning as I was considering all of these, I was asking Holy Spirit to lead me to His thoughts about their concerns...not my thoughts.

That's when He reminded me of Habakkuk 2:3. I have most of it memorized, so I began saying it in my head:
"For the vision is yet for the appointed time;
It hastens (pants) toward the goal and it will not fail.
Though it tarries, wait for it;
For it will certainly come, it will not delay." (emphasis mine)

As I thanked God for reminding me of this Scripture and how He has repeatedly used it to strengthen my faith and courage over the last few months, I felt specifically led to read it in the context of the whole chapter. This verse has meant so much to me regarding Boundless Ministries and the vision I believe He has given and is giving to me that it was enough. As far as I was concerned...this verse is complete.

I am thankful for a God who's word is alive, active and still moving in the hearts of men (and women!). Yes, His Word is complete. But because it is also alive...He uses it in various applications at different times in our lives. Today...He wanted me to read the whole chapter. I now encourage you to do so as well...Habakkuk 2

Now, I grew up in a church and I'm 43 years old. I probably have, but I don't ever remember, hearing a sermon that was built around Habakkuk. (Mental note: this is probably the next book for a personal inductive study). If you clicked on the link and did read the chapter...what do you see, hear or even feel? What are the emotions that come up? I know this was written to the nation of Israel...but we are told that "there is nothing new under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 1:9) Does the nation that Habakkuk is describing sound familiar?

Please don't put me on some government watch list...I'm not subversive or unpatriotic by any means...but can we grow up, face our flaws and admit that we are a nation that 'does not stay at home (not houses but our own territory) and enlarges our appetites like Sheol' (Hebrew word for underworld or abode of the dead)? In verse 6 do we not make ourselves "rich with loans?" (both personal and as a nation) What is the warning in verse 7? Yikes! Actually, verses 7 through 13 downright scare me when I think that this could be us.

But in verse 14 comes the most amazing promise:
"For the earth will be filled
With the knowledge of the glory (His true character) of the LORD,
As the waters cover the sea."

No matter how far we stray as a people, from the creation that He designated us to be...the knowledge of who God really, truly is will still fill the earth just like the waters that cover the sea. That's a lot of cover! Praise Him!

Go on and read the rest of the chapter...it's not a pretty picture. The "cup" in verse 16 is the cup of God's wrath that "will come around to you". Verse 18...there are so many idols we as a people worship that we can't even begin to count them (even in the church...yeah, get your toes back...we're all getting stepped on here!) And He reminds us that those idols that have been fashioned by our own hands are hollow and void. But what isn't? That's right (verse 20)...'just hush...because the LORD is in His holy temple.' Smile loved one...because if you are a Jesus follower "Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" (I Corinthians 3:16, emphasis mine)

If that doesn't get your heart a-pumpin' go back and read it again!

When the whole earth is crumbling all around us...when everyone we know is being weighted down by the evil that is trying so desperately to overtake us...when everyone around us is struggling with one or more idols...when we live in a culture that is so twisted by its idols that they infiltrate our very churches...when someday God's cup of wrath will be poured out on the nations (if you don't believe this, read the back of the Book!)...just HUSH...because the Ineffable One...the One that we are so puny compared to, we can't even get what to call Him into a word...yes, that One...is still in His holy temple...you!!!

What am I supposed to do in the waiting? Where am I supposed to turn while so many are in pain and distress around me?

"I will stand on my guard post
And station myself on the rampart;
And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me,
And how I may reply when I am reproved." (Habakkuk 2:1)

OH! Praise His Name! He is SO good to us...too good, in fact! All we have to do is stand on guard...wait for Him on the walls...keep vigilant watch...wait to see what He will speak to us...and He will teach us even how to reply when we are gently corrected.

What a deal! What a God! I know I am belaboring the point...but WOW...the whole entire world as we know it can be crumbling around us and He just asks that we stand on guard, to be alert and watch for Him...and listen to Him. When we do...we can be absolutely confident that God is in "the house"!

I don't think my heart is quite as heavy now!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment